Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Relentless Instruction
Some of my students have given me the clear message that they think I'm giving them too many tests--tests (or exercises) that I think of as getting them to focus and practice their reading skills--and I am relentless. But I know the foolhardiness of this. If they don't believe in what they're doing, they'll balk. We've just started a unit on alternative medicine, and our discussion yesterday was on how important it is to believe in a cure in order to be cured. They don't believe in the non-reading cure that I've concocted. I should read the interview given by Ann Fontanella, my colleague who won the TESOL Teacher of the Year last year. Just glancing over it, I noticed that she suggests we let the students lead. I really don't do that. I relentless go ahead towards my goal for them as they drop off, stressed out from too much reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's something new (at least to me) at Yerba Buena Gardens, where our May meeting of the SFVS Book Club took place. Trying to find ou...
No comments:
Post a Comment